Well known New York chef, author of Modern Indian Cooking and consultant to several restaurants Mr. Hari Nayak sharing the wine tasting tips with Indian food along with award wining recipes to indianwine.com
Pairing wine with Indian food is complicated and challenging, as there are a lot of competing spices and seasonings to contend with. Its complex layering of spices and chili heat makes it tricky. The traditional conventional methods about pairing food with whites and reds does not hold true in Indian cuisine for example a heavy creamy and spicy lamb curry or beef korma will pair well with whites and flavorful seafood dish can go well with reds.
One important rule to remember is that there is no rule!!
Some tips to keep in mind
• Lesser the alcohol level is better because alcohol tends to intensify the heat in a dish
• Reds with less oaky and more intense fruit flavors works well with the complex tastes of the cuisine
• Whites with light acidity and mild fruity textures will balance the richness of the Indian dishes.
• The refreshing bubbles and palate-cleansing acidity of sparkling wines would also work with Indian dishes that have heavy sauces
• A dry rose, which has some of the complexity a red as well as the acidity of a lighter white, can also be paired next to a lot of Indian dishes.
Author: Hari Nayak
About Hari Nayak
Hari's passion and love for food has been apparent in his various successful ventures as a chef for the past 15 years. Hari graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in 1998. Hari has trained under world renowned chefs like Albert Adria of El Buli and Marcus Samuelson of Aquavit to name a few. Hari has been providing culinary & consulting services to various organizations like Sodexho USA, ifoodTV, Whole Foods, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Kraft foods . For more info about the author on www.harinayak.com.